Peter D. Land is a lifelong resident of Crown Point, growing up on South Court Street next door to the Old Homestead. Pete is engaged to Darcy and has three children, Kyle, 31; Benjamin, 22; and Jack, 16.
Current Role and Responsibilities:
- Mayor of the City of Crown Point (Elected in June 2022)
- Chairman of the Board of Public Works and Safety
Education and Experience:
- 34 years of service with the City of Crown Point (17 years as Chief of Police)
- 7 years as the secretary for the Northwest Regional SWAT Team
- 6 years as the treasurer of the Northwest Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
- 6 years as the facilities chairman for the Lake County Public Safety Communications Systems
- Served on various boards, including High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Federal Task Force, Lake County; Federal Joint Terrorism Task Force; Lake County Homeland Security Advisory Board; District 1 Homeland Security Critical Response Team; Northwest Indiana Major Crimes Task Force; District 1 Law Enforcement Council; and Lake County Interoperability Communications.
- Member of the Crown Point FOP Lodge No. 176; Indiana Association of Chiefs of Police; and International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice and political science from Valparaiso University
- Graduate of the Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, Class No. 397
The Mayor of Crown Point manages more than 190 city employees across various departments, including Public Safety (Police/Fire/EMA), Public Works & Streets, Engineering, Building & Planning, Parks, Special Events, Human Resource, Legal, and Media & IT Divisions. The City of Crown Point operates on a $35 million annual budget, provides services to nearly 34,000 residents and has the lowest municipal tax rate of any city in Lake, Porter or LaPorte counties by a 2½ time margin.