The NWI 2050+ Plan is an update of the current 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan. The Plan will both develop a regional vision for all types of transportation and guide how federal funds will be used for transportation projects. A major emphasis of NWI 2050+ will help determine how to make walking, biking, and using public transportation easier to travel from home to important destinations in our three county region.
- Major Streets and Roadways. This section will update the roadway network proposed by the current NWI 2050 Plan, based on changes in development and travel patterns during the last four years.
- Active Transportation. Active transportation includes walking, bicycling, and other forms that combine mobility with physical activity. This section will build on Northwest Indiana’s excellent trails to plan a regional network for bicyclists and pedestrians that connects trails, communities, parks, workplaces, and major activity centers. It will emphasize ways to make roads and streets more friendly and safe for human-powered travel.
- Transit. This section will analyze current public transportation services and provide recommendations for how we can use best practices to improve our region’s transit systems.
- Freight. This section will examine freight movement systems in the region and develop recommendations to increase efficiency while minimizing inconveniences and hazards to residents of the region.
- Land Use. This section will develop an overall regional concept plan that shows how all forms of transportation and land use relate to each other, and how transportation can support better development and improve the quality of life for all of us.
You can help us plan for the future. You can provide your thoughts and ideas so we can help build the best plan to improve transportation and land use throughout NW Indiana. The survey includes questions that address all five of these elements. It includes two features:
- An interactive map. This map helps you leave comments, ideas, and concerns on specific parts of an aerial map of our region. These are marked by pinpoints of different colors that will help us compile the results.
- An opinion survey that includes questions about all forms of transportation, how you move around the district yourself, and sections where you can state your preferences for different types of development and bicycle/pedestrian facilities.
All responses will be included in the NWI 2050+ Metropolitan Transportation Plan update, which will be available upon request or on NIRPC’s website after approval in May 2023. Thank you for your interest and have fun with these tools!
Click here to learn more about NWI 2050+ Plan.
Click here to take the survey.