Clerk-Treasurer Dave Benson
My name is Dave Benson and I have been your elected Clerk-Treasurer since November 2019. I have been a resident of Crown Point since marrying my wife Donna in 1992. Donna is a lifelong resident and graduate of Crown Point High School. Donna is an Administrative Assistant for the Building Department, serving our city for seven years. We are blessed with two daughters. Kayla is our oldest and a graduate of Crown Point High School and Indiana University Northwest. Kayla is also a homeowner in our city and works here in Crown Point as a Dental Hygienist. Our youngest daughter, Kelly, is a junior at Crown Point High School and has goals of college and employment in the medical field. I am a graduate of Merrillville High School and Indiana University Northwest.
My Life as a Public Servant:
- I started my duties of public service in our City of Crown Point at a young age. As a teenager, I served as a volunteer with the Crown Point Civil Defense (now Crown Point EMA) working City events and emergencies directing traffic.
- At the age of 19, I was hired onto the Crown Point Police Department to serve as a Telecommunications Officer (emergency dispatch) and General Service Officer (parking meter and ordinance enforcement).
- At 21, I was sworn in to serve as a Crown Point Police Officer. The 30 years’ experience with the Crown Point Police Department has made me very familiar with the processes of how our city operates.
- I also bring with me over 23 years of supervisory experience and am a 2007 graduate of the Police Executive Leadership Academy.
- From 2003 to 2020, I was assigned an administrative duty as Training Coordinator. With this experience, I have administered the Police Department Training Budget and Firearms and Range Supply budgeted line items.
- As DARE Instructor for 12 years, I raised over $100,000 in donations to maintain our DARE Program.
- My most heartfelt duty on the Police Department was DARE Instructor. It was an absolute honor to know I have positively influenced so many young lives with my teachings at St. Mary Catholic Community School, Trinity Lutheran School, and the Crown Point Community Schools.
- During my police career, it was very rewarding to instruct officers in the area of Emergency Driving and Firearms while not only providing our in-house training, but also at the Northwest Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and Indiana Law Enforcement Academy.
- From 2001 to 2004, I served our City as a Volunteer Firefighter. I am certified through the State of Indiana with Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 certifications.
- Currently, I am serving as Clerk-Treasurer and administering my staff of Sworn Deputy Clerks.
- We continue working very hard to sustain “Compassion” and “Common Sense” during the day-to-day climate of the office.
- We are enhancing efficiency with new technologies and cross training of employees.
- Staff and I participate in continuing education to always elevate the expertise of our team knowing that excellent customer service will always be our mission!
Achievements and Awards
- 1993 Outstanding Police Officer Award (Fraternal Order of Eagles Aierie #2659)
- 1998 Promoted to Corporal
- 1999 Les Davies Award (Crown Point Civil Defense Director Sheryl L. Laney)
- 2001 Mayor’s Choice Award for Professionalism and Strong Work Ethic (Mayor James D. Metros)
- 2002 Promoted to Sergeant
- 2004 Northwest Indiana Outstanding Law Enforcement Officer Award (The Public Information Officer’s Association)
- 2007 Graduate of Police Executive Leadership Academy
- 2007 Graduate of Indiana University Northwest (Associate Criminal Justice Degree)
- 2010 City of Crown Point Employee of the Month for February (Nominated by Chief Pete Land and Mayor David Uran)
- 2011 City of Crown Point Employee of the Year for the year 2010 (Voted Choice of City Workforce)
- 2018 City of Crown Point Employee of the Month for July (Nominated by Chief Pete Land and Mayor David Uran)
- 2019 City of Crown Point Employee of the Year for the year 2018 (Voted Choice of City Workforce)
- 2019 Indiana DARE Officer of the Year (Awarded by DARE Indiana)
- 2019 State of Indiana Circle of Corydon Award (Governor Eric Holcomb and Senator Rick Niemeyer)
My Examples in Life:
As a lifelong Lake County resident, I was born in Gary, Indiana. My father was a Glen Park business owner and passed away from cancer when I was six. My mother moved us to Merrillville and worked to provide for my brother, sister, and myself. Both my grandfathers were hardworking mill workers and they, along with my parents, instilled in me a great work ethic. My grandfather on my mother's side was the most influential male role model in my life. He worked 25 years for the Santa Fe Railroad in Kansas and retired as a mechanic. He then moved the family to Gary, Indiana and worked for US Steel for another 25 years and retired as a machinist. He showed me the importance of family, hard work, and the Golden Rule. He always told me that the measure of a man is how he provides and loves his family. He was also a Christian and Freemason as I am today.