Household Hazardous Waste
This program is for residential household hazardous waste disposal for Lake County, IN residents only and is not for businesses, schools, organizations or those who live outside Lake County, IN. Businesses, schools, and organizations of Lake County, IN can call 219-853-2420 for resource information. For questions or more information about disposal of residential/household hazardous waste for Lake County residents, please visit www.lcswmd.com. Your cooperation is appreciated.
A Hazardous waste is a waste that poses substantial or potential threats to public health or the environment. Please dispose of properly! All drop off events are on Saturdays from 9 am to 2 pm. Load are limited to 100 lbs.
- March 27: Lake County Fairgrounds - 889 S Court Street, Crown Point
- April 24: Hudson Campbell Center - 455 Massachusetts Street, Gary
- May 22 Hobart City Barns - 340 S Shelby Street, Hobart
- June 5: Whiting Public Works - 1915 Front Street, Whiting
- July 24 Munster Public Works - 508 Fisher Street, Munster
- August 21: Highland Public Works - 8001 Kennedy Avenue, Highland
- September 11: Lowell Middle School, North Parking Lot, 19250 Cline Ave, Lowell
- October 2: Griffith Public Works - 134 South Colfax Street, Griffith
- October 23: Hammond Public Work - s601 Conkey Street, Hammond (Shredding Available at this location Only)
WHAT CAN I DISPOSE OF?
Aerosols, Ammunition, Antifreeze, Automotive Fluids, Batteries (Household only; NO car batteries), Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs in a sealed bag), Corrosives, Diesel, Flammable Liquids, Fluorescent Tubes, Fungicides, Gasoline, Herbicides, Insecticides, Kerosene, Medication (Expired and unwanted), Mercury-Containing Products, Oils and Other Fluids, Oil Based Paint, Pesticides, Poisons, Sharps (Medical needles in a rigid container), Solvents, Thermometers (In a sealed bag), Thermostats (In a sealed bag), Thinners, Waste Fuels.
WHAT IS NOT ACCEPTED?
Household Hazardous Waste from businesses, schools, or non-profit organizations, Asbestos, Auto/Back-Up/Boat/Truck Batteries, Containers Larger Than Five (5) Gallons, Explosives/Fireworks (Please contact your local Fire Department for disposal), Latex Paint, Large Grill Propane Cylinders, Medical Waste (Other than medications and sharps), Controlled Medications Will Not Be Accepted, Radioactive Materials (Smoke detectors), Unusable Latex Paint.
For more information, contact the Lake County Solid Waste District at 800-946-4449 or 219-853-2420.