Mayor Peter D. Land
Peter D. Land is a lifelong resident of Crown Point, growing up on South Court Street next door to the Old Homestead. Pete has three children, Kyle, Benjamin and Jack.
Current Role and Responsibilities:
- Mayor of the City of Crown Point (Elected in June 2022)
- Chairman of the Board of Public Works and Safety
Education and Experience:
- 34 years of service with the City of Crown Point (17 years as Chief of Police)
- 7 years as the secretary for the Northwest Regional SWAT Team
- 6 years as the treasurer of the Northwest Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
- 6 years as the facilities chairman for the Lake County Public Safety Communications Systems
- Served on various boards, including High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Federal Task Force, Lake County; Federal Joint Terrorism Task Force; Lake County Homeland Security Advisory Board; District 1 Homeland Security Critical Response Team; Northwest Indiana Major Crimes Task Force; District 1 Law Enforcement Council; and Lake County Interoperability Communications.
- Member of the Crown Point FOP Lodge No. 176; Indiana Association of Chiefs of Police; and International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Bachelor's degree in criminal justice and political science from Valparaiso University
- Graduate of the Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, Class No. 397
The Mayor of Crown Point manages more than 190 city employees across various departments, including Public Safety (Police/Fire/EMA), Public Works & Streets, Engineering, Building & Planning, Parks, Special Events, Human Resource, Legal, and Media & IT Divisions. The City of Crown Point operates on a $35 million annual budget, provides services to nearly 34,000 residents and has the lowest municipal tax rate of any city in Lake, Porter or LaPorte counties by a 2½ time margin.
Lay of the Land is a podcast featuring Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter. Tune in every month for casual conversation about what's going on in Crown Point. Listen wherever you get your podcasts!
Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Crown Point American Legion Post 20 Cmdr. Kevin Dvorak and Auxiliary President Joan Mulhern to chat about the Legion's community involvement, the Tank on Goldsborough and more!
Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Crown Point Community Library Director Julie Wendorf and Indiana Room Specialist Jeanene Letcher to chat about Library Card Sign-up Month, the City's public art project "Walk the Dog...
Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Crown Point Community School Corp. Safety and Security Supervisor Dave Coulson to chat about the 2023/2024 school year, school safety and more!
Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Majority Owner of the Lake County Corn Dogs Ralph Flores and Manager Justin Huisman to chat about the Corn Dogs' standout season, building community through baseball and more!
Mayor Pete Land and PACE Director Adam Graper sit down with Owner of Local 219 Alan Myszkowski and Executive Director of GreatNews.Life Jenny Craig-Brown to chat about good news in Northwest Indiana, creating community in the Region and more!
Lay of the Land is back! In our Season 2 premiere, Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Entertainment Promoter Tom Lounges and Crown Point Entertainment Superintendent Diana Bosse to chat about the Summer Concert Series...
Episode 8 of Lay of the Land is live! We are taking a break in April, so stay tuned for our Season 2 premiere in May! In this episode, Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Engineering Superintendent Doug Brite and GIS...
Episode 7 of Lay of the Land is live! Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Cafe Fresco Owner Breanne Zolfo and Tavern on Main Owner Miranda O'Block to chat about the downtown square, community and more!
Episode 6 of Lay of the Land is live! Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Crossroads YMCA CEO Jay Buckmaster and Southlake YMCA Executive Director Chris Mallers to chat about the latest YMCA news!
Episode 5 of Lay of the Land is live! Mayor Pete Land and Chief of Staff Anthony Schlueter sit down with Crown Point Fire Chief Mark Baumgardner and Crown Point Police Chief Ryan Patrick to chat about holiday safety tips, department news more!